Monday 29 April 2024

UNDRIP, Reconciliation and the Antithesis of Equality - Lawyer Tim Thielmann, B.C.


"This video contains excerpts from my speech in Prince George on March 16. It expresses my deep misgivings regarding the implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) which began in British Columbia with the passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (DRIPA). The paused-for-now Land Act process and the just-announced Haida Agreement are just two of the actions which DRIPA and its action plans have set out for BC's future. We need to talk about it. Openly. Honestly. And I don't care what kind of names you want to call me. As a lawyer who has worked in this space for over a dozen years, I feel compelled to raise the alarm. We are witnessing the dispossession of the public and the dismantling of the legal foundations of our democracy."
- Tim Thielmann

No comments: