Monday 25 March 2019

Acadia University's Firing of Prof. Rick Mehta 2018

Came across Professor Rick Mehta in 2017 when I was looking for the free speech advocates in Canadian universities and found Rick's youtube talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73kjWyRRWU&t=292s


I still don't know if Matty Sears or Rick Mehta have read "Canada in Decay" by Prof. Ricardo Duchesne at UNB SJ... its a very popular book - a best-seller.





Now suspended "Indie Media Eastcoast" was a Twitter handle.. & much censored on Facebook page ( 21 bans of 30 days since Trump was elected ).  Controversial topics are making a lot of people uncomfortable... but they are more interesting.



I was concerned after my experience with Mount Allison University - a campus that banned me for one year in 2016 - even though I was neither a student, staff or member of any organization on campus.



What I found interesting and still do is the climate of censorship around here.


After I found Rick on Youtube & Facebook through SAFS.ca I told him about my experience with Mount Allison University and Facebook censorship that I had also experienced.  My main reason for joining Twitter was online censorship but my account was suspended in May 2018.

Rick Mehta joined Twitter in November 2017.


Its a big story in Wolfville Nova Scotia's Acadia University's academic circles as to why Rick Mehtha was really fired.

Is he a good role model for free speech? Yes.   Mehta is being punished for being an advocate for free speech - its worth noting that he is still on Facebook as well.


Being critical of any 'political' movement in Canada is not a bad thing.  "Decolonization" is an agenda to take away white land rights from Canadians.




As a tenured professor Mehta took to Twitter as he was concerned about campus free speech and academic freedom.  To this day he has maintained his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/rickrmehta



"Mehta was outspoken both on campus and online about a range of contentious issues including decolonization, immigration and gender politics, garnering both supporters and opposition.
He came under fire for saying multiculturalism is a scam, denying the wage gap between men and women, and dismissing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission as a vehicle for “endless apologies and compensation.”
On Twitter, he retweeted a post that said it is “statistically impossible for all Native children to have had a negative experience with residential schools.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-controversial-nova-scotia-professor-rick-mehta-fired-after-fire-storm/

No comments: